R3 Home Improvement Grant Program
Thank you for your interest in the program.
The program is now closed and awards have been made for the 2020 allocation
(based on the first receipt of completed package basis).
Please review our website frequently for updates on the 2021 funding schedule
A special thanks to all our participating vendors:
One Call Heating and Cooling
Reliable Heating and Air
Advanced Roofing and Remodeling
A Smart Choice Construction
For making the program a success, we couldn’t have done it without you!
The City of Riverdale provides Repair, Rehabilitation, and Reconstruction (R3) HOME assistance for Riverdale’s existing residents and new home buyers in the city. This program is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) HOME Investment Partnerships Program. The grant is administered by the Community Development Department.
The R3 assistance program will provide a one-time grant of up to $20,000. in-home repair assistance for Riverdale residents based on an assessed value sliding scale, not to exceed $20,000.
|Assessed Value Range||Payment Amount|
|$89,999 or Less $99K-119,999||$20,000-$15,000|
*Based on the appraised value as determined by the Clayton County Board of Accessors digest.
1. Code Violations/Deficiencies
- Replacement of building components that have exceeded their life expectancy or due to conditions expected to fail within two years after the date of inspection. Using the US HUD Residential Rehabilitation Inspection Guide. Appendix C
- Unsafe and used fireplaces.
2. Housing Systems
- Electrical wiring fixtures or systems.
- Heating venting and Air-conditioning
- Roofs, porches, walls and structural load-bearing walls
- Exterior siding, paint
- Bathroom and Kitchen cabinet replacement
- Counter replacement
- Appliance replacement
- Small storage shed replacement
- Windows and doors
- Handicap or special need upgrades/removal
4. Energy Efficiency Upgrades
- Insulation Storm doors
- Windows heating venting or air conditioning
Luxury Items are not covered. The following items are considered luxury items:
- Floorings such as tile, hardwood floors that exceed comparable costs of vinyl or carpet
- Hot tubs, whirlpool baths, steam showers
- Patios or decks
- Room additions
- Installation of fireplaces
- Widow treatments other than standard window blinds
- Carports or Garages
- Room additions may be approved if they are necessary to install a bathroom facility in a dwelling that otherwise lacks a bathroom or necessary to provide accessibility to the house.
Who is Eligible?
Current homeowners and new Riverdale homebuyers that:
- Meet HUD income requirements (see HUD Guidelines below)
- Are Riverdale City employees
- Low-Income Homeowners (see HUD Guidelines)
Applications are currently being accepted
The Homeowner must select a Georgia Certified Licensed and insured contractor to conduct the work and obtain all permits that are required to perform the work. All work must be completed by November 1, 2020. The homeowner must provide a minimum of three (3) bids for planned repairs. (City staff does not recommend contractors.) The scope of improvements is required to be submitted and approved by the City Building Official. The building official will also conduct an initial inspection of the property.
Upon the completion of the work, a final inspection signed by the homeowner, the contractor and the City Building Official is required. Also, the contractor will provide a limited one (1) year warranty on labor and materials, a one-year warranty on roofing repairs, and a two-year warranty on the removal of all existing roofing and replacement with a single new layer.
Once the final approval by all parties is given on the completed work, the contractor can submit an invoice to the Community Development Department to request payment. No payments/grant funding will be issued until the work is completed.
HUD Income Guidelines 2019
|8 OR MORE||$84,150|
Participants must commit to:
- The home must be the principal residence (for a minimum of 5 years) and Homestead exemption claimed.
- Homes must be maintained and fully up to code one (I) year after purchase. Home inspections will be required before funding approval.
- Provide proper maintenance to all installed items/components to help minimize premature failure or damage
Default Repayment Plan:
If the participant defaults on agreement they must pay one-third down within thirty (30) calendar days of notification and the balance must be paid in forty-eight (48) equal monthly payments starting sixty (60) calendar days after notification.